Melody Recording Project

Summary

In this project, we were to watch a video on music notation. The video displayed a sample melody that her class had created. We were to recreate that melody in Garageband. Then, we were to find our own song in a .midi file version and to look at the music notation of that song.

Lesson Melody

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 8.19.58 AM

When recreating this melody i found that using the sheet music form was challenging and difficult to rewrite with when you could just use the little green bars to recreate this melody. When using GarageBand there was a couple of notes that looked different but it sounded the same to the ear which could get really confusing.

One of My Favorite Melodies

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 12.42.05 AM

This melody has a very broad structure, from using a tonic to having a great amount of variation between chords. This whistling beat creates ear candy and uses leaps and and steps to create a very light hearted feel. The entire melody is in a very high pitch octave allowing for an added light hearted feel.

My Melody

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.26.56 AM (1)

I personally did not try and create a beat with a ton of tension because I don’t want the listener to really feel a certain way about this melody. It is aimed to have a feeling of uncertainty, there are a couple leaps but mostly just steps which keeps a very average listener entertained.

Melody Composition Terms

• Theme: a long melodic idea
  • Motive: short rhythmic idea
  • Period: all 8 measures of music
  • Phrase: a set of only 4 measures
  • Antecedent (Question) Phrase: the first phrase
  • Consequent (Answer) Phrase: the second phrase
  • Scale Degrees: 
    • Tonic: Begins and ends the scale, defines the key, begins and ends your phrase 
    • Supertonic, Mediant, Submediant: Dont have the same restful meaning as tonic but dont have the forward leaning meanng as Dominant 
    • Dominant, Subdominant, Leading Tone: most forward leaning force in the scale, most tension
  • Steps: Conjunct motion like in a scale
  • Leaps: Disjunct motion moving much farther around the scales
  • Conjunct motion: Uses steps 
  • Disjunct motion: Uses leaps
  • Repetition: repeated material like motive or
  • Contrast: two phrases that is consists of contrasting material
  • Variation: Somewhere between contrast and repetition

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

In this project, I found problems in the notes in the written sheet music form in GarageBand. I solved this by using the green bars rather than the sheet music form, then I was able to recreate the different melodies. I also ran into problems with the .midi files when we were to import our favorite songs. I practically had to redo my melody. I fixed this by just redoing it.